Hemileuca hunt #3

James J. Kruse kruse at nature.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 27 17:33:48 EDT 1999

Hello again,

This time I drove 1200 miles in 41 hours. How much coffee and Coke can you
drink in 41 hours?

Anyhow;

Hemileuca electra 'mojavensis' 	25+ in about 90 minutes.

CA: San Bernardino County
North base of Ord Mountain
Roundup Way at the top of rise about 1 mile east of jct with Kiowa drive.
------------------------------
Hemileuca electra 'clio'  (2)

AZ: Mohave County
About 8 miles NW of Kingman on Hwy 93 at jct Agua Fria Rd.
Note: saw several egg rings on Eriogonum fasciculatum at this same
locality on 5 NOV 1998.
-----------------------------
Hemileuca electra 'clio' (2)

AZ: Mohave County
About 5 miles NW of Kingman on Hwy 93 at jct Hwy 68
----------------------------
Helicopter nigrum (3) everywhere I turned. Following me. ;->

***
Other wildlife notes:  I checked out an old H. burnsi locality near
Oatman, AZ, that is a VERY neat little town. Burros (5), and tourists (7)
with cameras posing with them, blocking the road about 2 miles south of
Oatman.

Oh, and

>is this the same Neil Jones who viciously attacked some poor Mr. Kruse
>when I first started with the internet thing
>
>Rene Boutin

I probably deserved it, I really don't remember. Posting often enough on a
list this large and diverse will get you flamed occasionally, deserved or
not. However, there has been some real blind-siding going on lately that
exceeds past levels, at least in my opinion.

Cheers!
Jim Kruse
University of California at Berkeley
Dept. of Environ Sci, Policy and Mgmt.
Div. of Insect Biology
201 Wellman Hall
Berkeley, California, 94720-3112
Voice: (510) 642-7410    Fax: (510) 642-7428
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/sperlinglab/kruse.html