names for mourning cloak

Bastiaan Notebaert bnotebaert at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 22:51:38 EDT 2000

N. antiopa is called in Dutch 'rouwmantel' and is indeed considered extinct
in Flanders (north Belgium) en the Netherlands.
However, last years there were again some observations in these regions.
These came after an east-European invasion in 1995. In 1997 I saw a lot of
it near my home (Gent, East-Flanders, Belgium) in July. Probably specimens
coming from the 1995 invasion reproduced themselves and are spreading in
Flanders. But the numbers are so low that its doubtful that they can really
settle, also because the required biotope isn't present any more.
In South Belgium (Walloon) we have more and larger forsts and I can conform
that the buuterfly is still present in the valley of the Viroin river near
france (province Namur). Also in the french Lorraine and Argon this species
is still present.
As its doubtful this butterfly has any stable populations in flanders it
belongs to the working area of the Belgium Migrating lepidoptera Survey
(BTO). You can contact them on their website and probably find also
information on first observations in Europe for 2000 of this species:
http://users.skynet.be/bs663526/

Bastiaan Notebaert
Drongen-Gent
Flanders, belgium