Butterfly odors

John Acorn janature at compusmart.ab.ca
Thu Aug 3 02:24:35 EDT 2000

Butterfolks:

I think it was E. B. Ford who suggested that all lepidopterists should EAT
at least one example of every species they study!  I still can't bring
myself to chow down on the bodies, but I'll admit to having tried quite a
few wings, mostly from specimens that hit the rim of my net and were
accidentally killed (hey, it's science, right?).  To my palate, most
butterfly wings taste like greasy tissue paper, but some are downright
awful.  The Mustard White (Pieris oleracea) is the worst I have tried-- it
tastes the way pentatomid stink-bugs smell.

John Acorn
Edmonton