CNY and WNY buttterfly group

Meena Haribal mmh3 at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 8 12:34:15 EDT 2000

Hi Leps members,

In Central and Western New York, John Hanyak is planning to start a
local e-mail list for butterflies. This is the  message posted on
NYSBIRDS-l from him,  being re-posted with his permission. If
interested directly reply to him.

Meena

>"John J. Hanyak" <jhanyak at twcny.rr.com>
>Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:35:36 -0400
>
>Greetings:
>
>The following off-topic post is submitted with the permission of the
>listowner:
>
>I am interested in determining the interest of fellow chatters to
>possibly start
>an informal chat group that shares an interest in butterflies.
>
>Since this is not a bird-related subject, this will be done
>privately and off-line.
>
>Sharing of information can include favorite locations, recent
>sightings, tips on
>butterfly plantings, optics, etc., etc.  Also favorite websites such
>as the one below.
>
>(An example would be a recent trip to Three Rivers WMA near
>Baldwinsville which
>yielded a field with at least 100 Baltimore Checkerspots!)
>
>I would also like to ascertain the interest of fellow butterfliers
>on forming a local
>chapter of the North American Butterfly Association.  (www.naba.org)
>
>This would be an informal group without dues and rules!  Perhaps we
>could start
>a CNY 4th of July Butterfly Count.  (These counts are held annually
>in the same
>manner and context of Christmas Counts for birds.)
>
>Please reply to me privately with your thoughts and/or ideas.
>
>Thanks.
>
>John Hanyak
>Marcellus, NY
>jhanyak at twcny.rr.com

Dr. Meena Haribal
Research Associate
mmh3 at cornell.edu
www.people.cornell.edu/pages/mmh3
Address:Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, BTI
	Cornell University
	Tower Road, Ithaca NY 14853.
Phone No;607-254-4287, 607-254-5414 (W)
     	607-277-3536 (Home)