Polyphemus / voltinism

Mothman617 Mothman617 at mediaone.net
Sun Aug 13 19:24:38 EDT 2000

I do live in a rural area just north of Boston and have had much experience
in rearing and collecting Saturniids. The Polyphemus are generally double
brooded here and are sporadic throughout the summer. Much depends on weather
conditions here in southern New England which can vary from year to year.
This year for instance the first brood of A. polyphemus appeared in early
June. The second brood of individuals appeared in mid- July to early August.
This second brood was very impressive in numbers. One night I counted up to
11 males at my blacklight. In 1997 for instance, the first brood appeared in
mid to late June and the second in mid August.
The Promethea moth (C. promethea) also is double brooded here in some years.
The latter appearing in early August. The Luna moth also may occasionally
produce a partial summer brood here, but only rarely.

-M. Arey
"Martha V. Lutz & Charles T. Lutz" <lutzrun at AVALON.NET> wrote in message
> Chris wrote:
>
> "I've raised 30 polyphemus larvae this season on maple leaves from a
female I
> obtained and hatched from last season. ( I don't know the food plant she
was
> reared on)
>
> It's mid August, the larvae just spun cocoons.
>
> I've read and heard repeatedly that in the Boston area that Polyphemus
have
> multiple broods.  I can't imagine that if my brood should hatch within the
next
> two weeks into adults and mate that there would be enough time for thier
> progeny to mature in time for winter.
>
> They have been raised on fresh cut leaves provided daily and chose maple
over
> oak, alder, elm and birch. (all of which I provided in an effort to figure
out
> their prefered food plant)
>
> Q- What should I expect?  How should  I handle these cocoons?
(refridgerate?)