reference on oviposition behavior

John Shuey jshuey at tnc.org
Fri Aug 25 13:05:45 EDT 2000

Help!

I my distant past, I remember a paper (written by C. Wiklund I think)
that described oviposition strategies in European butterflies.  This
gist of the paper was that butterflies that have hosts that dominate the
habitat, like some grass and sedge feeders, simply scatter their eggs or
lay them on things other than the hostplant itself.  But species that
use ecologically scarce hostplants, seek out the host directly for
oviposition.

Can anyone out there lay their hands on this citation or give me better
clues than my foggy memory?

Thanks,
John Shuey