"floridensis"

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 21:19:33 EST 2000

Mike Philip wrote:

Is "floridensis" a valid subspecies of E. marcellus?  My books on Florida
leps say it is, but other books say no.  Does anyone have any thoughts on
this?

Mike Philip
Raleigh, NC

Holland's "'The Butterfly Book" list "floridensis" as a subspecies of Eurytide
s marcellus. Holland also described the subspecies in a publication of the
Carneige Museum which I cannot manage to locate in my library.

However, in Florida, Eurytides marcellus just manage to get big and dark in
the summer and especially dark in the early fall on the east coast.

Leroy C. Koehn
Lake Worth, FL