Minoan Butterflies

roslyn frank rozfrank at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 19:28:22 EST 2000

I am researching an article on the etymology of words for butterflies in
Basque which I speak and in several other European languages. One part of
the project involves looking at the symbolic value of butterflies,
particularly in Europe, i.e., the folkloric associations, ritual uses, etc.
For example, I was once told that in Greek mythology, butterflies were
viewed as the "souls of the departed". However, I have no bibliographic
source for this.

Therefore, I would very much appreciate bibliographic information on this
topic as well as information about any studies that may have been done, for
example, on the species of butterfly whose chrysalis was reproduced in gold
and placed in a chamber tomb at Mycenae (c. 1500 BC). Gimbutas in her _Gods
and Goddesses of Old Europe 6500-3500 BC: Myths and Cult Images
(Berkeley/Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1982:186)  has a
drawing of the art object in question as well as a reproduction of a a seal
impression from Zakro, eastern Crete, portraying a goddess with the wings of
an 'eyed butterfly' (from Middle Minoan II). Here the question might be
whether the chrysalis corresponds to that of the type of butterfly portrayed
as the 'goddess' figure. Or is it another species?

Please send replies to <roz-frank at uiowa.edu>.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Roz Frank
University of Iowa