Genetic Engineering may have Problems (not so long)

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:25:55 EST 2000

Robert,

Like it or not, you are right about that.  Human activity, especially
farming is very harmful to the "natural" environment.  Not to say that we
can't in our innocence create some semblance of beauty and usefulness out of
the mess.  The mere fact of our individual existence on this plant is that
we are irreparably harmful.  We passes round a sheet at work yesterday
regarding how many tons of coal, water, pesticides, coffee, petro, etc that
it takes to raise a baby now-a-days.  Eck!  And I thought all I was doing
all these years was making my parents hair grayer.  More ammo for convincing
my folks they're never going to be grandparents.

On another note, it makes my blood boil that people artificially value some
habitats more than others.  Everytime I hear someone say, "well why couldn't
they have built all these companies (silicon valley) in a desert somewhere."
  Oh eh gads, the uninformed!  Many people have this twisted notion that
deserts are somehow less beautiful and wasted land.  Uugh.  Now mind you I
prefer forests and waterfalls myself but I can still admire the role that
arid habitats play in the world.  I mean just think if California had to
share all it's water with Arizona.  What a mess that would be :)

Ah well, I just as soon all these computer industry imports move somewhere
else anyway and leave the valley of hearts delight to me.  Well, I am fifth
generation bay-arean even if I'm not of native american descent... can't
blame me for what my ancestors did can you?  It's all my great-grandparents
fault that I'm here.  Not that I'm minding at all... beautiful sunny day (no
urgent work).  I think I'll go to Santa Cruz, check out the surfers, look in
on the Monarchs before they head out for the year, and plant all the
Dicentra that arrived yesterday.  Anyone out there know for certain if
Clodius Parnassus Sol will eat Dicentra exima?  I can't find a good source
for D. formosa, so I caved into planting a non-native in the garden.

Cheers!  Have a balmy day...  Laurel