Conditions for Overcollecting

MJS323 mjs323 at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 15:38:41 EST 2000

Bruce;

   I think that the only times that collecting, including overcollecting, can
impact a butterfly population is when the existing habitat is tiny.  The
Lange's Mormon Metalmark is an example of this in Antioch, Calif.  The
remaining sand dune habitat where this butterfly occurs is so tiny that too
much collecting of the adults could impact the colony, and the movement of
collectors on the habitat could impact the habitat.  Even responsible
collecting by lepidopterists could have an impact if several of them visited
the site in the same flight period.  Those situations are extremely rare.
Unfortunately the Cloudcroft Checkerspot may fall into that situation if more
populations are not found.  I think too many leps are protected when collecting
is not an impact, but sometimes that is done to protect the habitat.  I would
prefer that ways be found to protect the habitat without listing the butterfly
species.  The San Bruno Mts. near San Francisco fall into that category.
Several butterflies were listed to protect a habitat, even though collecting
would not impact the butterfly.  These are my thoughts anyway.

Mike Smith