Conditions for Overcollecting

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 4 00:31:13 EST 2000

  Now this is a really sensible approach. Bravo! I suspect that if a DNA
sample of *S. idalia* were required from your colony, you might be
persuaded to permit the supervised taking of one male, scheduled in a boom
year. By the way, what is your third critical species and its requirements?
........Chris Durden

At 09:34  3/01/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Bruce asks a question that I have pondered quite a bit over the last few
years in
>my role as gate-keeper for some of the most significant natural areas
remaining
>in Indiana.  My dilemma has always been, (1) how to get inventory of
poorly known
>taxonomic groups completed on these reserves, while (a) not jeopardizing
any of
>the taxa which may both depend upon the natural area for regional persistence
>and  (b) which might be vulnerable to collecting pressure.   Here is what
I've
>come up with.
>
>Populations (not species) are vulnerable if they meet certain requirements:
>
>1) populations are isolated, such that gene flow, recolonization and rescue
>events are almost impossible;
>
>2) populations are small, such that collecting could represent a significant
>source of mortality;
>
>3) population represents a "desirable" species, such that collecting
mortality is
>consistent and persistent over time;
>
>4) population subject to wild stochastic variation and/or species in
question has
>low reproductive capacity.
>
>Based on these criteria, I think that in Indiana, there are exactly  three
>butterfly populations representing two species that are potentially
vulnerable to
>over collecting.  These are:
>
>_Speyeria idalia_ reduced to a single population in the state. Population
very
>isolated and occupies less than 200 acres.  Population fluctuates wildly,
>especially in response to recent fire history of the habitat.   Females
are very
>easily collected at milkweeds that line adjacent agricultural fields.  A
showy
>species that is almost impossible to obtain in much of the eastern US -
>collectors seek this one out.
>
>_Neonympha m. mitchellii_ reduced to about 15 populations in the World -
two in
>Indiana.  Populations all isolated, especially relative to observed female
>dispersal capacity which averages less than 50 meters.  Populations are
usually
>very small (based on MRR over two years at two "healthy" populations in
adjacent
>Michigan,  total adult brood size is between 200-300 per year.  The two
Indiana
>populations occupy habitats (fens) that are less than 3 acres in size.
Fecundity