The dangers of generalizations

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Jan 8 18:44:28 EST 2000

Chris Durden wrote: The last thing we need is national regulations,
written for your neck of the woods, inhibiting our exploration of our
end of the woods.

I can certainly appreciate that knowledge of fauna and biodiversity is
different in Texas vs New Jersey. It can be dangerous to generalize.
Also I don't know much about  Texas butterflies. Everytime I've been
there it's been either the driest or the coldest or the poorest year.
Ditto for my visits to California. I should have a plaque on my wall
saying "you should have been here last year".

However, I haven't had the impression recently of much action on the
National Level for listing species.  It seems to be currently a state
activity.

I was wondering what species that might be listed in New Jersey (or in
the northeast), for example, would impact research or collecting in
Texas. (i.e. a species very rare in one region, but common in another).

Maybe an interesting exercise would be for people to identify which
species currently listed by state or by nation, they think are
inappropriately listed (i.e. listed as endangered when they should be
threatened or lower, or listed as threatened, special concern, etc, when
they should be down-graded.

Then it would be interesting to do the converse, but that turns out to
be quite time-consuming.

I also thought about Anne Kilmer's example, of being unable to garden
for Schaus Swallowtail, because people don't want an endangered species
in their neighborhood.  Most of us have heard of the NIMBY (not in my
backyard) phenomenon when it comes to the siting of nuclear powerplants,
hazardous waste sites, shelters for AIDS victims or drug addicts, etc).

Also we know that many farmers and ranchers are very unhappy at the
prospect of an endangered species being discovered on their property,
but I hadn't thought about the good old suburban neighborhood plagued by
an endangered species.

Mike Gochfeld