NJ "list"

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jan 9 04:01:53 EST 2000

At 08:15  9/01/00 -0400, you wrote:
>	Since I suggested compiling the various state lists it was
>logical that someone would ask me what NJ's list is.  I will find it and
>send it, but  I'm not sure what its status is.

- - -
 - - -
>At each round the list was whittled down further.
>
>As far as I know there is a list. But it does not become enforceable
>until it goes through some additional processes of publication, comment
>period, etc.
>
>The only ones I remember were Hesperia leonardus which is nominated for
>"special concern" (two of us thought it was threatened).
- - -
  Presumably this is *H. leonardus stallingsi*. Do you have anything that
approaches *H. l. leonardus* in the northwest highlands?
- - -

>and N. mitchelli (which will be listed as endangered, although it is
>generally conceded that it has been extirpated for more than a decade.

- - -
  Surely there are some Pine Barrens specials too?
  I remember collecting at the bridge at the south end of the lake at
lakehurst in the days before the area became so obviously private. While
Sid Hessel watched I climbed up inside a white cedar, put my net out of the
tree and took two *Mitoura hesseli*. Just after that we met Ben Ziegler
coming down the trail.
  I tried to revisit the site about 4 years ago but it is not readily
accessible and the habitat does not look as fresh as it used to.
- - -
>When it became known that Leonard's skipper might be listed a developer
>agreed to set aside what amounts to a conservation easement, where the
>only central NJ colony survives. Whether this will be sufficient to
>protect this colony remains to be seen after the development begins
>later this spring (2000).
>
>Some of the issues concerned what to do with species that are or were
>only marginal in the state.  Is there any point in worry about a
>marginal population of a species that is common and widespread in
>adjacent states?  I am ambivalent about this.  I think it depends on the
>nature of the local, marginal population?
- - -
  Yes this question is our biggest problem with species listing in Texas.
.........Chris Durden
- - -