Common Names

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 12 05:37:03 EST 2000

	I agree with the recent posting that we really don't need to
make common names completely unique, but the bird world has grappled
with this for decades. North Americans have chafed that people in
Britain refer to Troglodytes troglodytes as "The Wren", for example
(merely because it happens to be the only Wren in the Old World. On the
other hand our name, Winter Wren, isn't great (it happens to be the only
wren that spends winters around the major cities where ornithologists
congregated.

	We did make concessions, changing "Mockingbird" to "Northern
Mockingbird" in recognition of the several Neotropical species of
mockingbirds and "Catbird" to "Gray Catbird" in recognition of the
"Green Catbird" and its relatives of Australia as well as the "Black
Catbird" and other Neotropical species.

	Other changes were made to give the same name to in both
hemispheres, for example changing "Common Gallinule" to "Moorhen".
	The scientific community represented by the A.O.U. Check-list
committee and the birding community represented by the American Birding
Association Check-list committee, have not always agreed or made
changes at the same time. Nor has the former been especially cognizant
of the historic nature of common names and their utility, particularly
by naive and confused newcomers to the field.
	Indeed, common names for virtually all North American birds
had already in widespread use in the 1950's for more than a century and
based on my museum experience in the 1960's and 1970's even PhD
ornithologists used common names for North American (and even South
American birds) in most of their discussions (and field notes). (At the
same time the few scientific lepidopterists I knew wouldn't dream of
using common names for anything other than Monarch and Tiger
Swallowtail.
	As one example of changing well entrenched common names, the
species that most Americans knew as Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)
had its name changes to Solitary Vireo in the 1957 AOU Checklist
(5th edition)(merely for the reason that two western races don't have
blue heads). {By the same token Canadians might have lobbied to change
Winter Wren to Summer Wren).
	Now, in the AOU Checklist (7th edition, 1998), Vireo solitarius
has been split, into three species (one of which is named Blue-headed
Vireo, and none of which are named Solitary Vireo, although that name
had official status for more than 40 years (most of the lifetime of
current ornithologists and birders). So much for tradition.
	Anyway since neither Small White nor Cabbage White are unique
descriptors (it may be smaller, but isn't especially small and it isn't
the only cabbage-chomping white),  I can see a checklist committee
grappling with a 3rd "more appropriate" name.

Mike Gochfeld