[uk-leps] Re: Times Jan 4 2000

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at gateway.net
Wed Jan 12 19:28:43 EST 2000

It sure seems it would be a whole lot easier to simply use the
scientific names.  They already exist and are standardized.  Just get
over the fear of latin names and apply oneself.  I have been told one
reason there are not more people interested in amateur astronomy is
because arab names for stars and other astronomical objects scare some
prospective amateurs away.  It appears (just an appearance now) the same
type of irrational aversion to scientific names for butterflies is
driving the move for common names, and to make them more complicated
than was ever intended.

Stan Gorodenski

--
If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't
seem wonderful at all.  -- Michelangelo