African butterfy lists?

Bradford A. Hawkins bhawkins at uci.edu
Thu Jan 13 19:48:03 EST 2000

Although I normally work on parasitoids, I am currently doing a project
examining the pattern of butterfly diversity in the Afrotropics.  I have a
data set generated by converting the verbal descriptions of species
distributions  in D'Abrera into range maps and then counting the species
occurring in grids dividing the region into ca 450 equal-area pieces.
Because the range maps are very crude, I am looking for independent data
sources to check my estimates.  Does anyone know of checklists (or total
counts of species, skippers excluded) for any African country?  I already
have counts for Liberia, Zaire and Kenya,  any tips on sources for other
countries would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Brad Hawkins (http://ecoevo.bio.uci.edu/faculty/hawkins/index.html)

Bradford A. Hawkins