common names vs technical names

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Fri Jan 14 15:16:58 EST 2000

Mark and listers,

Mark Walker wrote:
> It would really help if there was a common pronunciation (and perhaps
> some guidelines for doing it).

There *are* guidelines.  However, I post here a copy of something I
posted during a previous round of this discussion:

2.  About pronunciation.  Ken was right -- don't worry about it!!
Give it your best shot, and even if you are not technically correct,
if you are able to pronounce the individual letters you should be
able to produce a pronunciation that is recognizable to virtually
everyone.  As for those scientists who demand precise
enunciation, I say "pblpblpblfft"!  I like knowing what the exact
 pronunciation is (although this also may differ in different parts
of the world, as was indicated before), but am thrilled when anyone
is interested in learning these names.

Mark also wrote:
>  I usually use
> a Latin pronunciation, but then I get some strange stares from folks
> when I use it.

Here's something else from a previous post of mine.

. . . To call them "Latin"
names, however, is a joke.  "Latinized" maybe.  Alright, alright,
some of the names are well-thought-through latin representations of
something that has to do with the actual creature being described,
but some have their roots in other languages (like Greek, etc.), and
just as many are simply creative mind-wisps (the hymenopteran
genera "Aha" and "Ohno" come to mind -- look at Doug
Yanega's website and you'll see a huge sampling of scientific names
 that are far from being either Latin or scientific).

Mark, keep doing what you're doing.  If someone gives you a
strange look, that's their problem, not yours.  And keep learning
those "scientific" names.

	James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"