"Immunity" to mosquitoes.

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 17 12:34:17 EST 2000

Memorable to me was one July night in 1960, about 200 miles N of Minnesota
in Ontario, when I forgot to pack the pup tent for an overnight geologic
traverse. My partner and I tried to sleep under the canoe on an outcrop in
the middle of muskeg and discovered why such situations are termed "fly camp".

Apart from this the only really annoying mosquitos I have met are the
"Asian tiger mosquitos" in my backyard in Austin. They are out most any
time of day. They raise huge welts. They wave their white-gartered black
legs at you. They used not to be here. Allegedly they arrived in Houston in
puddles in a load of auto-tires from Southeast Asia. They are worse than
anything I have felt in the James Bay Lowlands, in the Jersey pine barrens,
in Rondonia, or around Iquitos.
.........Chris Durden