CO2 mosquito traps

Nick Greatorex-Davies NGD at wpo.nerc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 05:06:40 EST 2000

Jim Mason wrote:   "Since they cost ~$400 each, (not counting the
CO2-spiking apparatus) I doubt
they will get popular any time soon.  I also wonder how they can be
effective.  If you have a party in the yard and several people are
present,
the trap would just look like one more food source to the skeeters
rather
than THE ONLY food source.  I would say you are better off to put up
a bat
house, (if you have colonial-roosting bats in the neighborhood)."

I was recently in the Philippines and at one place I stayed there
were flourescent strip lights in all the rooms and at various
sheltered places aroud the building. I was amazed at the number of
wall lizards (house geckos) there were with two, three or four at
every light. No insect that came near stood a chance (except perhaps
the larger cockroaches)! What a blessing they must be when mosquitos
are plentiful!

Regards

Nick Greatoex-Davies