Wild Sunflower

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at gateway.net
Fri Jan 21 22:30:15 EST 2000

Does anyone know much about wild suflower seeds, Helianthus annuus?
About three years ago I bought some from a company called Wild Seed.
They have been inside the house all that time and have not been
subjected to the extremes of Arizona temperatures.  I broke some open,
and they are not dried up inside (they are only about 1/16" inch or so
in size).  I put about 200-300 between two sopping wet folds of paper
towels in a closed container.  After about a week only 4 have
germinated.  Is this the expected germination rate for wild sunflower
seeds collected in the wild, or do they take longer to germinate and I
just haven't waited long enough, or are most now no good after being on
the shelf for three years?  It would seem that since all I have broken
open are moist and pulpy they should be good.

Stan Gorodenski