breaking diapause

mothman mothman at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Jan 24 09:20:31 EST 2000

Hi Kristina:

        According to "A Silkmoth Rearer's Handbook" by Brian O.C. Gardiner.
3rd edn. 1982, diapause in Attacus is facultative light-controlled. This
means that diapause in the pupa is controlled by the day-length that the
larva experienced. A 16-hour day for the larvae seems to be the controlling
factor. Larvae that experienced less than 16 hours will give pupae that
diapause, those that had greater than 16 will give non-diapausing pupae. The
most common way to break diapause is to subject the pupae to a cold period
(above freezing) for about 12 weeks.
Gardiner's book has 10 pages devoted to diapause in silkmoths; definitely a
must-read.

Tony