Subspecies

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 28 10:04:15 EST 2000

I should know better than to enter a fray about subspecies. Even in the
naive days when we all believed that the biological species concept was
a "given" and above reproach, arguments about subspecies were a
free-for-all.

First (at the risk of sounding like an avian jingoist), I think that the
subspecies concept grew mainly in ornithology.  I suggest that
butterflies are not merely fragile and pretty birds. Much of the
variability in butterflies simply doesn't occur in birds (for example
seasonal polyphenism).  Then too, butterflies variants and aberrants
received distinct names on a regular basis.  In ornithology this
happened only rarely and as a "mistake".

Many subspecies names were applied to different regional populations
which were later recognized to represent clinal variation (in which case
the names were dropped).

In plants, for examples, in addition to geographic "subspecies", there
are varieties, ecotypes (same genotype grown under different
conditions), which are morphologically distinct but would not qualify as
subspecies in terms of trinomials.  (This doesn't even include polyploid
varieties which I don't think have an equivalent in birds or
butterflies??).

In some cases subspecific epithets were applied when two creatures
formerly considered separate species were lumped (and conversely now
that there is a splitting culture, subspecies often get elevated to
species status).  In birds there is a long culture of NOT relying on
laboratory hybridization studies as representative of what happens in
nature (for those who believe that reproductive isolation is the
hallmark of distinct species).

I think there is a reason to question whether the geographically
distinct subspecies concept is applicable to butterflies, particularly
where two recognizably distinct forms also have different ecological or
host preferences or requirements.

Finally, the caterpillar may be the unit of most intense selection, and
has no counterpart in the bird world.

In birds, it is not at all unusual (in fact it is typical) to have quite
different phyllogenies at the species and even generic level, depending
on the character suites one studies.  This also applies to phyllogenies
based on larvae vs adults. I can't imagine what would happen if one
tried to form trees at the population or subspecies level.

Mike Gochfeld