Seitz in PDF format

Doug Yanega dyanega at pop.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 5 12:16:36 EDT 2000

>Dear netters,
>I deal with electronic documents and I am pleased to offer an
>electronic version of Seitz "The Macrolepidoptera of the World"
>on CD-ROMs. The books (german text and colour tables) have been
>scanned in high resolution (600 dpi) and converted into PDF
>format readable by Acrobat Reader 4.0. Palearctic and American
>sections are done and I hope to finish the mounting of tables
>from remaining sectins (African and Indo-Australian) in two-three
>months. I am going to scan also english text as soon as I can get
>it. The price for volume is from 20 to 90 bucks, depending
>largely on the amount of colour tables. The technology allow me
>to save a volume on one or two CD-ROM disks.
>As I am going to scan also the series of "Biologia Centrali
>Americana" and "Genera Insectorum" the requests for above
>publications are welcome. The copy-rights for all those books are
>expired.
>If you are interested in my offer I can send you sample disk with
>some scanned black-white and colour PDF files.
>Regards, Tadeusz Zatwarnicki
>e-mail address: zatwar at ekonom.ar.wroc.pl

I'll vouch for the quality and utility of the scanned images on Tadeusz'
CDs, as we have already purchased a set here at UCR. While obviously not as
good as having the original plates, they are still very good scanned
images, and generally more than adequate for the task of specimen-matching
(the main use for Seitz, for most of us). The images on the CDs are
full-sized, and with good resolution, though admittedly some of the *very*
finest detail can be hard to resolve; for the very smallest species
represented, this may occasionally prove problematic. On the other hand,
having instant access to Seitz volumes (which we can't even get here on
interlibrary loan) for such an incredibly cheap price is VASTLY more than
worth it, and we're ecstatic about having these CDs. I recommend them to
anyone who routinely deals with obscure groups of exotic macrolepidoptera
(i.e., just about any macro that isn't a butterfly or Saturniid). Besides
which, I suspect the more people order copies of the presently-available
volumes, the sooner he'll be able to scan the remaining ones! ;-)

Peace,

           http://insects.ucr.edu/staff/yanega.html