Wood Nymphs: banner year??

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 17 07:11:40 EDT 2000

John Acorn's comments on Wood Nymphs is exactly the reason why I think that a
one day, 15 mile count circle is an inappropriate way to census butterflies or
document trends. It was borrowed uncritically from winter birds (where it
probably isn't all that appropriate either), based on a method selected nearly a
hundred years ago.  Sort of like pulling apart the human genome with a pair of
pliers.

The phenology of a season and the weather on a single day can seriously distort
counts. For example, the Raritan Canal count of Monarchs in 1999 was an all-time
low, yet fall migration was an all time high.

What may be interesting is to look at the variability of some common species
across the parties on a given count.  We had a few species yesterday (Raritan
4JC) where all four parties got the same number per hour plus or minus a few,
indicating a rather uniform distribution (swallowtails, Pearl Crescents, for
example), and others which shoiuld have been uniform (i.e. Common Wood Nymphs)
which were virtually absent from all but one habitat.

Mike Gochfeld