Canada & weather

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 18 18:02:28 EDT 2000

Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX wrote:

> At the moment Nymphalis californica is having a
> strong flight although if one looks for them in the heat of the afternoon;
> not many will be seen as they skulk about in the shade

Norbert,  do you think this is the same Nymphalis californica
(California tortoishell) that has spectacular periodic migrations
in California and Oregon?

One of the most awesome and eerie butterfly sights I ever saw was
in late June 1973 at and just below the summit of 10,400 foot  snow capped
Mt. Lassen in northeastern California. Countless thousands
of California toitoishells were circling around the summit area
(above tree line) of this volcanic cone - . The eerie part was wondering
were they doing up there? No host plants for them and they were not going
anyplace - just circling endlessly around the rocky, barren, snow covered
summit area. This would have made great footage for an Alfred Hitchcock
movie. Ever hear of this phenomenon before elsewhere in the Cascade
Range or Sierra Nevada Mts?

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, Calif.