Canada & weather

Donald Davis donald.davis at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 19 03:05:27 EDT 2000

Dear Derrick,

In southern Ontario, we are also experiencing unusual weather conditions,
and it will be interesting to assess the impact on invertebrates. I know,
for example, that one butterfly count had 6 new species and will be
interested in seeing if this is a trend.

Temperature conditions are generally lower than usual and the amount of
rainfall has been high. Lawns that are ordinarly brown or turning brown this
time of the year are still very green. In major agricultural areas such as
the Holland Marsh, crops such as carrot are rotting in the fields. Clashing
weather fronts have recently spawned heavy storms, with lightning and funnel
clouds.

At Presqu'ile Provincial Park near Brighton, we're gradually seeing more egg
laying monarch butterflies, generally very faded. One naturalist came across
a willow tree with about 100 vicroy larva.

Don Davis
Toronto, ON