Huachuca Backyard Butterflies

Hank & Priscilla Brodkin hankb at theriver.com
Thu Jul 20 22:09:30 EDT 2000

We live near the end of Carr Canyon south of Sierra Vista, Arizona.  We
put in a small - app. 10' in diameter - circular garden with about a
dozen plants chosen for their attractiveness to butterflies as nectar
sources (3 of our 4 acres are completely wild and full of larval food
plants) and chosen for their unattractiveness to the Coue's White-tailed
Deer who stop by to visit a few times every day.

We noticed there seemed to be a lot of butterflies in this tiny garden -
so today I checked it about four times and the day's total number of
species was 30:
Pipevine Swallowtail (B. philenor), Southern Dogface (C. cesonia),
Cloudless Sulphur (P. sennae), Mexican Yellow (E. mexicanum), Tailed
Orange (E. proterpia), Sleepy Orange (E. nicippe), Dainty Sulphur (N.
iole), Gray Hairstreak (S. melinus), Leda Ministreak (M. leda), Marine
Blue (L. marina), Ceraunus Blue (H. ceraunus), Zela Metalmark (E. zela),
American Snout (L. carinenta), Variegated Fritillary (E. claudia),
Bordered Patch (C. lacinia), American Lady (V. virginiensis), Painted
Lady (V. cardui), Monarch (D. plexippus)- one only - the first one seen
this year - they are rare here, Queen (D. gilippus), Dorantes Longtail
(U. dorantes), Northern Cloudywing (T. pylades), Drusius Cloudywing (T.
drusius), Acacia Skipper (C. hippalus), Golden-headed Scallopwing (S.
ceos), Mournful Duskywing (E. tristis), Orange Skipperling (C.
aurantiacus), Moon-marked Skipper (A. lunus) - yard butterfly #92, Large
Roadside-Skipper (A. exoteria), Bronze Roadside-Skipper (A. aenus), and
Slatey Roadside-Skipper (A. nereus).

--
	             Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
	          Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ