report from Glen Beg

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 24 01:18:04 EDT 2000

>Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:53:27 -0500
>To: jfhanlon at mediaone.net
>From: "Chris J. Durden" <drdn at mail.utexas.edu>
>Subject: Re: report from Glen Beg
>
>That is the problem with common names. The butterfly at Glen Beg would
have been THE PURPLE HAIRSTREAK = *Quercusia quercus* (Linne, 1758) Verity,
1943, in the subfamily Theclinae Swainson, 1831. The GREAT PURPLE
HAIRSTREAK of NABA, which F. M. Brown, in 1954 renamed GREAT BLUE
HAIRSTREAK = *Atlides halesus* (Cramer, 1777) Huebner, 1819, in the
subfamily Eumaeinae Doubleday, 1847.
>  The colors of neither animal include what we would call purple today,
athough the usage of this color name may have changed since the 19th
Century. *Q. quercus* is near reddish violet of the Stanley Gibbons "Stamp
Colour Key" or closer to #527 of the Pantone Matching System. *A. halesus*
is near new blue (SG) or closer to #300 (PMS).