re. Graellsia cocoons

Paul (ELG) pwbelg at clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 10:19:22 EDT 2000

Dear Martin,

It appears that the G.I. sale posting fulfils the first of your counts, as
it has led to further discussion.......

As far as I am aware, CAPTIVE-BRED stocks should fall outside the scope of
the various regulations governing trade in wild species and/or endangered
wild species. This is certainly the case with the British W&C Act 1981 &
subsequent amendments.  It SHOULD also be the case with the CITES
regulations.

G.I., to my knowledge as ELG sales list editor, is not traded very often,
in our group only by one spanish member (licensed). I would personally
welcome more legal trade in this species (captive-bred) as it is my belief
that this can take the pressure off the collecting of wild-specimens.

Overtly commercial is the fact that any site in England (and elsewhere) can
be and will be bulldozed tomorrow for the sake of yet another hypermarket
or new road development. There will never be the money available to match
commerce.

As long as we don't see the postings of long lists of stuff, then I for one
have no objections.

Paul Batty

Paul W Batty (Editor E.L.G.)
The Entomological Livestock Group has over 550 members.
Website: http://www.pwbelg.clara.net/index.html