Eight Spotted Forester Moth

NewtChris newtchris at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 01:14:30 EDT 2000

I found an unusual larvae outside my back door on a vine I've been trying to
get rid of sinse I moved in.  I happened upon a picture of this caterpillar in
an Audobon field guide(I highly recomend them).

Needless to say the adult is not nearly as spectacular as the larvae, but as
with all novel caterpillars I come across and adopt, I feel I must provide a
conducive environment for them to become the best adults they can.... Thus my
troubles...

I've supplied this larvae with the vine I found it clinging to.  A section of
vine I had scheduled for pruning BTW.  The larvae shows no interest.  I read
that these larvae eat Virginia creeper, wild grape and Boston Ivy, none of
which I think I have handy,  although I'm not a botanist!!!

any suggestions?

Chris