Insect Dealers Indicted

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 6 22:27:02 EDT 2000

Neil Jones wrote:

> The indictment is on the web on the news pages of
> http://www.wildlifewebsite.com/
> Just go to the site and follow the links.

I didn't find the story about the indictment, but I did come across the
following questionable statement about the Quino Checkerspot at the
http://www.wildlifewebsite.com/ website:

"The Quino Checkerspot is a very very rare butterfly. It occurs in very
 very few places in Southern California. It is very much threatened by
development and by global warming which is disrupting its life cycle."

The reason I say questionable is because in early spring 1995 lepidopterist Tomas
Mustelin, Ph.D. and two other lep enthusiasts found what they described
as "thousands, maybe millions of Quino checkerspots (Occidryas editha)
everywhere" 20 miles south of the California/Baja California border.