Large unidentified moth eggs on window

Pierre A Plauzoles plauzolesp at bigvalley.net
Fri Jun 9 17:23:19 EDT 2000

Julie Seely wrote:

> Thanks.  I had actually visited this site last night prior to
> posting here, but couldn't find one that was an exact match (and
> perhaps having read so many different descriptions explains how I
> knew what features to describe...).  However, I also spent most of
> my time looking at the underside of the moth, since it was outside
> and I was inside.  One thing that I noticed from the underside was
> that the light band on the margin of the wing extended all of the
> way around the wing to the body (though it was narrower than on the
> outer parts of the wing).  Thus the darker brown color (at least
> from the underside of the moth) did not appear as one mass of color
> on both wings, but was divided.  Sorry if that's unclear, but I'm
> not sure how to describe it any better than that.
>         I had hoped to get a picture of it, but it decided to leave at
> just about the time I got my camera.  Sigh.
>         If the eggs survive, any clue how long it will be before they
> hatch?

My guess is about a week to ten, maybe twelve days.

As for host plants, liquidambar is taken by many saturniids, but not all.
So are oak, maple and many other hardwoods.  Do you have the capability of
taking a close-up shot and posting that on the web?  If so, post it on the
animal pictures newsgroup (alt.binaries.pictures.animals or something to
that effect -- my apologies for getting uncomfortably close to the porn
that also, unfortunately, is part of in the "alt.*" newsgroup hierarchy)