European question: Tyrol/Tirol

Pierre A Plauzoles plauzolesp at bigvalley.net
Sat Jun 10 00:04:58 EDT 2000

"Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance of European geography.  This is from a 1950's data
> label - "Obergurgle, Tirol". Apologies for possible mispelling, but where is
> this ? I am guessing somewhere in the Alps, possibly the Austrian Alps ???

Hello.

This is from the National Imaging and Mapping Agency's Geographic Names System
website (http://164.214.2.59/gns/html/index.html), and the sort order is by
coordinatse:

   NAME        DESIG. LATITUDE    LONGITUDE   AREA  UTM   JOG NO.
  Tyrol: see Tirol
               RGN   47°00'00"N   11°00'00"E  AU00  PT50  NL32-03
  Tyrol: see Tirol, Bundesland
               ADM1  47°15'00"N   11°20'00"E  AU07  PT73  NL32-03

As you can see, "Tyrol" is both a region name and the name of an administrative
unit, possibly a province -- and your guess was very probably accurate: it does
sound like the Austrian Alps, possibly bordering on Italy.  "Tirol" is probably
the correct spelling in German.  My search used Austria as the country within
whose boundaries to search.

Pierre A Plauzoles
sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com