risk of release

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 15 17:09:54 EDT 2000

Bruce mentions that individuals have a vested interest in not letting
creatures escape, particularly if they've paid good money for them. And
I agree.  But virtually every kind of animal that I have kept has at one
time or another escaped, including a bird that I carefully guarded for
11 years (a longevity record), but which found a way outside.

Parrots (valued in excess of $1000) escape with too much regularity, and
such forlorn individuals are often seen even in northern climes where
their survival is doubtful.

  We often misjudge (and underestimate) the houdini-esque capabilities
of organisms.  I would be very surprised to learn that there are people
who regularly raise leps who have never had a caterpillar disappear.

In any case, for creatures that truly are pests (and Norbert has pointed
out that real pests and pests-by-law are not the same), I wouldn't rely
on amateur containment, no matter how highly motivated.

Mike Gochfeld