Identify

Kurt Jacobs kurtjacobs at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 10 15:15:48 EST 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BF8A9B.1FF86640

BillyBear4Kids.com Stationery - Web page BackgroundsA Virginia Ctenucha =
(latin similar) immediately came to my mind when you mentioned the white =
at the tips of the wings.  But I wouldnt describe the white at the wing =
tips of the Virginia Ctenucha as a spot, but more of a 2-3 mm wide =
streak of white.  The white streak is very bright when the moth first =
appears.  I see two or three broods in Wisconsin, and it is always the =
first large day flying moth i see in spring, just ahead of the Eight =
Spotted Forester (octomaculata).  Is the body a shiny metallic =
blue-black, or is it just black? =20
  "Greenfield, Carol" <CarolG at lee.k12.fl.us> wrote in message =
news:0A2A01079C9BD311A9D200105A1A16FB3EA831 at mail4.lee.k12.fl.us...
  I have seen a small butterfly or moth in my back yard flying during =
the day. No more than an inch or so. It is black with long wings that =
remind me of the longwinged zebra but a much smaller butterfly. The very =
tips of the wings have one white spot on each of them. The body is =
slender and black. The head is a reddish orange color. The antenna are =
slightly hairy (and black) which makes me think it might be a moth. Can =
anyone help me identify this one?=20
  Carol Greenfield=20
      =20
        .=20

      =20

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BF8A9B.1FF86640

<!-- saved from =
url=3D(0059)http://216.90.96.108/clipart/bkgd5/butterfly/butterfly1.htm =
--><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>BillyBear4Kids.com Stationery - Web page =
Backgrounds</TITLE>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!-- Copyright =A91999 Loraine Wauer-Ferus
BillyBear4Kids.com-->
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY background=3D"" bgColor=3D#ffffff style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
#ffffff">
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>A Virginia Ctenucha (latin similar) immediately came =
to my=20
mind when you mentioned the white at the tips of the wings.&nbsp; But I =
wouldnt=20
describe the white at the wing tips of the Virginia Ctenucha as a spot, =
but more=20
of a 2-3 mm wide streak of white.&nbsp; The white streak is very bright =
when the=20
moth first appears.&nbsp; I see two or three broods in Wisconsin, and it =
is=20
always the first large day flying moth i see in spring, just ahead of =
the Eight=20
Spotted Forester (octomaculata).&nbsp; Is the body a shiny metallic =
blue-black,=20
or is it just black?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"Greenfield, Carol" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:CarolG at lee.k12.fl.us">CarolG at lee.k12.fl.us</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:0A2A01079C9BD311A9D200105A1A16FB3EA831 at mail4.lee.k12.fl.us">=
news:0A2A01079C9BD311A9D200105A1A16FB3EA831 at mail4.lee.k12.fl.us</A>...</D=

  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D210491014-10032000>I =
have seen a=20
  small butterfly or moth in my back yard flying during the day. No more =
than an=20
  inch or so. It is black with long wings that remind me of the =
longwinged zebra=20
  but a much smaller butterfly. The very tips of the wings have =
one&nbsp;white=20
  spot on each of them. The body is slender and black. The head is a =
reddish=20
  orange color. The antenna are slightly hairy (and black) which makes =
me think=20
  it might be a moth. Can anyone help me identify this one? =
</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DSection1>
  <P align=3Dright class=3Dsection1=20
  style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 2in; TEXT-ALIGN: right; tab-stops: 2.0in"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Monotype Corsiva'; FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt">Carol=20
  Greenfield</SPAN> <BR>
  <TABLE>
    <TBODY>
    <TR>
      <TD width=3D125></TD>
      <TD width=3D500>
        <P></P>
        <CENTER>.=20
<BR><BR></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>=
</HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BF8A9B.1FF86640--