Identify

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 23:03:08 EST 2000

Carol:

I am making an assumption that you live someplace in south Florida. If so the
moth you have seen on the wing is Melanchoria cephise. Beginning in the
spring of 1999, this pretty little geometrid has been on the wing and at
times has been very abundant. I have found them in my bait traps in Broward
County. On a recent trip to Key Largo, there were hundreds of them on the
wing. There is a specimen figured in the "A Field Guide to the Moths of
Eastern North America" by Dr. Charles V. Covell, Jr. Plate #56, Fig. #4.

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
6085 Wedgewood Village Circle
Lake Worth, FL 33463-7371