First large lep sighting

Pierre A Plauzoles plauzolesp at bigvalley.net
Mon Mar 13 01:40:44 EST 2000

Hello.

My daughter and I were in Bear Canyon (Santa Clarita, Los Angeles
County, California) earlier today and finally saw our first Monarch of
the new year.  It was badly worn and therefore not identifiable until it
got within ten feet of us (some of the marginal dots were still clearly
visible), but still flying farily well.  It was flying low over the
sparse vegetation in a side wash about 4.9 miles (road mileage) south of
the Antelope Valley Freeway Sand Canyon Road Interchange.  Elevation at
the site about 2000 feet, coordinates: N342211/W1182348).  Although I
could see no milkweed in the wash, it appeared to be ovipositing; its
flight was toward the wes.

Pierre A Plauzoles
sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com