butterfly rearing and release question

Rcjohnsen rcjohnsen at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 01:39:43 EST 2000

<< Subject: butterfly rearing and release question
From: soowon at NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU  (Soowon Cho)
Date: Wed, Mar 15, 2000 10:33 AM

Dear members,

Does anyone know how many monarch butterflies were released on the
Independence day ceremony a couple of years ago, and how much did it
cost?  If it was an event prepared for a special ceremony, was it prepared
by one butterfly farm or more and how long did it take to be prepared?

I simply assume that it was an event at one place such as inside a
football stadium.  My wondering is that do Monarchs fly away after all the
butterflies, say ten thousand butterflies, are released at the same
time.  I guess there are some butterflies who do not fly up and away from
the ground and simply stay there and some others may fly away from the
stadium.  Do you know if the Monarchs fly away quickly?  How about a tiger
swallowtail?

Sincerely,

Soowon Cho

I know another is going to answer your question directly.  But I'll direct your
attention to natural migration patterns of the Monarch.  They have 4 breeding
cycles/ year and they migrate at each breeding cycle.  For example see the
spring map at
http://www.monarchwatch.org/tagmig/spmap.htm

and lots of people interest at
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/sm/about.html

and the fall map at
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/research/monmig.htm

There are lots of sites at alta vista at
http://members.xoom.com/ecotao/agric/search.htm
using the key words 'Monarch Migration patterns' in the Savvy/meta-search
window.
Roger