Relaxing tails on spread specimens

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Sat Mar 18 01:53:12 EST 2000

	This is not something people normally want to do--but I have made
a device which allows me to relax the genitalia (male) on a spread butter-
fly in 1.5 to 2 minutes time, without getting the hindwings wet. This
can sometimes be useful with genera like _Oeneis_ or _Erebia_, when you
would like to see the ends of the claspers and the collector neglected
to extrude them after capture.

	I can provide data on this--but note that one needs a thermostat-
ically-controlled hot plate to use the device, and a small metal-working
lathe to construct it (although one could no doubt use a hacksaw, a hand
drill, and a file, and make something that would do the job).

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at uaf.edu