Roundup

Mike Griggs mhg3 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 21 08:28:18 EST 2000

In article <5twB4.18154$Nn6.684546 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Kurt Jacobs" <kurtjacobs at earthlink.net> wrote:

>I was all ready and everything to drink some to prove my point, but then i
>found out that Glyphosate is chemically
>N-phosphonomethylglycine and it blocks the action of the enzyme
>5-enolpyruvykshikimate-3-phosphate Synthase which catalyses an important
>step in the synthesis of aromatic amino acids, so i reconsidered due to the
>severe consequences of that.  Of course i wouldnt drink it.  It is not a
>beverage.
>
>"Dr. Rev Chuck, MD, PA" <cdub at erols.com> wrote in message
>news:38D5A06B.35D1 at erols.com...
>>
>> Would you drink it?

Do a search for Glyphosate at the following site and you will find out
alot.   It may dismiss some missinformation about this product.  It does
have cross reactivity to non targets but is fairly safe to mammals as we
do not have the enzymatic pathways  that this chemical targets.

 http://ace.ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/ghindex.html

I would guess that with 47 day half life it may pose less hazzard than
salt as it would disipate more rappidly.  My concern involves the mass
use of these chemicals and the alteration of the soil by repeated use.

I can think of some worse chemicals out there however.

Mike