Bt corn flap

Rob Knell r.knell at qmw.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 03:51:53 EST 2000

On 27 Mar 2000 10:18:37 -0800, rbenavid at hotmail.com (rudy benavides)
wrote:

>Here is another view sent to the MonarchWatch list by Mike Quinn.  I don't
>feel that the complete story on Bt  is in yet.
>
>Rudy Benavides

<snip article on BT toxin getting into the soil from GM maize>

A useful article, although loike so much other work on the subject it
doesn't really address the important questions here:

1) Does this have any effect on the soil fauna? Remember that BTK is
pretty much specific to lepidoptera

2) Does it have a greater effect on the soil fauna than conventional
pesticides? I'd be surprised if the answer to this is yes.

3) Why is it that when sprayed around the environment from a
helicopter BT is an environmentally friendly organic natural control
agent, but when the exact same molecule is produced by genetic
engineering it suddenly transforms into an evil monster that will not
only kill all the pretty butterflies but will also make your 14 year
old daughter pregnant, will wipe your hard drive and is responsible
for Saddam Hussein still being in power in Iraq :-)

Cheers
Rob Knell

School of Biological Sciences
Queen Mary and Westfield College