Bt corn flap

Paul Cherubini cherubini at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 28 21:58:21 EST 2000

Rob Knell wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that Paris Green, a salt of arsenic, is
> approved by the Soil Association for pest control on organic foods? I
> believe their reasoning is that it's 'natural' and therefore OK. I
> could be wrong here of course.

It's possible. Organic industry trade organizations (e.g. Organic Crop
Improvement Association in the USA) decide what pesticides an organic
grower can use. I'm a pesticide saleman and sell to both conventional
and organic growers.I've sold liquid Bt (Dipel), natural pyrethrins and
diatomaceous earth insecticides to my organic grower customers. These
products provide fairly poor control of lepidopterous larvae, even when
they are drenched with the stuff.

Natural pyrethin has been found to cause cancer in lab
animals, but organic grower associations don't care because it's natural.
Similarly, the diatomaceous earth can cause silicosis
of the lungs. Again no problem because its "natural".

Ironically, one organic grower that uses liquid Bt on his stored grain to
control indian meal moths also has a production facility that makes health
food soybean bars. On the wrapper of his bars he has a notice posted
prominently: "certified non-GMO soybeans".

You get the picture.

Paul Cherubini. Placerville, California