Butterfly book and supplies info needed...

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Thu Mar 30 07:31:41 EST 2000

What we're doing in Florida is having the school children plant
"butterfly gardens." These collections of nectar plants and larval host
plants attract plenty of local butterflies, and children can obwerve egg
laying, the development of caterpillars and so forth, in nature ...
where dramatic events can happen to them. This, too, is educational.
There's no reason not to take a few caterpillars into the classroom for
closer observation, and practice at keeping accurate records.
There's no reason not to collect a few adults, for practice mounting and
observing. In fact, off-season butterflies reared in a classroom make
fine practice specimens, and there's no sense in releasing them into a
snowy landscape.
We have children planting and studying at hospitals, nursing homes,
churches and shopping malls, state and county parks, vacant lots ...
wherever an area has been scraped bare by "progress", the children can
claim it for their gardens.
It doesn't take long before the "butterfly garden" becomes a wildlife
garden, and the birds and beasts flock around.
Now we're learning to fine-tune our environmental gardens, preserving
and restoring scrub, wetlands and other special habitats.
In such a situation, random collecting is frowned on (you might be
netting Maude, who is my personal friend), but supervised collecting can
be a large part of the study and maintenance of these habitats.
Obviously this doesn't mean that everyone is enlightened. We still have
the highschool biology teacher whose assigned "bug collection" merely
requires that 50 assorted bugs be pinned into a cardboard box.
We've had kids bring such a "collection" to the Mounts Building for the
Master Gardeners to identify (for free, for fun). Hopeless, of course.
When I was a sophomore in highschool, we watched Mother Gregory pith a
frog. (You take a dissecting needle and poke it through the frog's brain
and down its spine. It dies.)She had read a book, so she knew how. I do
not think she had ever handled a frog before, and the book did not
mention that the frog wouldn't like it.
It was pretty traumatic for all of us, and most of us begged for the
frog's life, but we needed to see how the heart continued beating ...
and I'll admit that I've never forgotten it.
I think kids need to spend a lot of time with living animals. Handling
and dissecting dead ones is also necessary, and, if we intend to eat
meat, maybe we should have killed an animal and eaten it ... once, at
least ... so that we know how we really feel about that.
As for whether it's OK for kids to kill insects to study them, any time
the pesticide companies turn their sprayers into pruning hooks and the
farmers hang up their helicopters, by golly, I'll be right there with
the anti-collection brigade. (And the lion will lie down with the lamb
...) Meanwhile, words like hypocricy, sentimentality and so forth are
going to creep into our conversations.
We need millions of kids to care passionately about insects, if we are
going to continue having a nice assortment of the latter. There are a
lot of good ways of producing such kids, and one of them is teaching the
kids to collect insects and and mount them.
 I happen to prefer field studies, myself, but there's room here for all
of us.
Anne Kilmer
South Florida