Butterfly Names

wanda be496 at lafn.org
Thu Mar 30 17:13:37 EST 2000

It seems clear to me that other lep organizations defaulted by declining
to take on the project of coming up with a standardized U.S. butterfly
list.   A NABA names group put forth the effort of creating a
standardized list of both scientific & common names.   As a result THE
NABA LIST BECAME THE STANDARD!   This is substantiated in that these
names are recognized by most formal entities, in addition to the vast
majority of individuals interested in butterflies.

With a standard list, there needs to be a consistent, formal way of
updates being made, with results published on a somewhat regular
basis.   It's just a little messy now, in the early stages, until the
various procedures & group inter- relationships get worked out.

I still would like to see the scientific group play catchup on some of
the formalities, so they can be out front in leading us with their
systematic information while the NABA group can provide them their
views, make decisions that affect NABA, then publish the final
documented decisions.

It works in the ornithological world between the AOU (the independent
scientific oversight group) & ABA (the popularized birding group) and
don't see why it can't work here...

					Cheers, Wanda Dameron
						Lorquin, LepSoc, LA-NABA
						ATL, Xerces, Flutterby Press