cocaine feeders

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 30 12:44:21 EST 2000

At 10:15  29/03/00 GMT, you wrote:
>In article <38E12AB4.9DB7E2EC at bangor.ac.uk>
>           bsu103 at bangor.ac.uk "jamie o'connell" writes:
>

>> Please could someone assist in my project be passing on information about
>> butterflys which live and feed on the Erythroxylum coca or its close
>> relatives.
>>
>> Jamie O'Connell
>
>The larvae of butterfly species in the genus Agrias feed on plants of this
>genus.
>I do have concerns that GM technlogy is apparently being developed to
>kill the Coca plants. I hope for the sake of the butterflies that
>the ecological effects of releasing such novel organisms are fully
>assesed FIRST.
>
>--
>Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
- - - - -
I note that Mabberly, 1990 indicates 250 living species of *Erythroxylum*
in tropical South America and Madagascar.
Does anyone know if there are butterflies that feed on this genus in
Madagascar?
*Agrias* species and their *Erythroxylum* foodplants are found from Oaxaca
and Chiapas in Mexico to northern Argentina.
- - - - - Chris Durden