Butterfly Names

Kelly Richers kerichers at wasco.k12.ca.us
Fri Mar 31 11:07:15 EST 2000

Since the Lep Soc elects new officers each year, what does it mean "beholden to the Lep soc"?  There is no agenda representative of the entire lep soc.

>>> wanda <be496 at lafn.org> 03/30/00 09:42PM >>>
Dear Don,

Glad to hear your views.  Agree wholeheartedly that, (1) there are many
complications in taxonomic decisions and that (2) we do need
standardized lists, which give us a basis from which to work.  For those
reasons, I would like to see basic taxonomic decisions come from a
widely recognized group of independant professional entomologists, as
the 5 of you are, not beholden to represent LepSoc, NABA, Xerces, HTL or
any other group.   You 5 have the education and longterm experience to
evaluate submitted studies, other input, etc, just what info needs
consideration and/or what may be missing or given short shrift.

I strongly feel there does have to be (1) a consistent pattern and rules
of how your Group would make decisions and (2) for the results to be
published or posted on a fairly regular basis (once a year?) for the lep
community to be aware and upon which to base other plans/actions.   With
the AOU, the birding community knows what species are on the agenda,
which other studies are being considered for future agendas and
approximately when their annual reports will be coming down.

Most of our problem in this matter seems to be in getting this set up
AND taking action.  Maybe there is some way that you 5 would have the
responsibility of the taxonomic decisions and the NABA group would be in
charge of common names.   I realize this is all volunteer work which
further complicates things, especially the timeliness, but that would
need to be part of the commitment.

As adults with pretty much the same goals for furthering lep
info/conservation, it seems there should be some way to work out the
details.....   Is there some way the NABA group would agree to not make
taxonomic changes in their pressing need to make updates?   (Yes, make
minor scientific name changes, i.e. put the h in Heliconius charithonia
and correct S. columella to Strymon istapa)   This could be posted on
the NABA and perhaps the npwrc.gov sites.   Maybe NABA could sell copies
of the website interim list for those not online.    This would give the
entomologists say a year to get the pressing taxonomic considerations
made before an expensive update would be published....  ????   They
should also post a list of species under consideration fairly soon
--preferably both wetsites.   Does this sound reasonable and enough of a
basis for Jeff & Paul to start a discussion?   (Or perhaps Paul would
prefer to designate someone as will be going out of town very shortly?)

					Hopefully,  Wanda Dameron