I need help.......

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed May 3 09:38:21 EDT 2000

In article <390985D4.23E96982 at epix.net> butrfly at epix.net "Rick Mikula" writes:

> "Dave (No Spam, Please)" wrote:
> > I read an article recently which suggests that
> > releasing butterflies at weddings isn't such a
> > great idea.  NABA has a copy on their site.
>
> If you would like to considered other views concerning this topic
> you may consider visiting  http://Butterflybreeders.org Then click on
> the menu item "What scientist Are Saying" or "Why releases are okay."
> Perhaps you may want to view both sides before drawing any conclusions.
> R. Mikula

I have no wish to start a flame war. Those who know me know that I have often
spoken out against lawbreakers and dubious salesmen. Those who peddle untruths
in an attempt to deceive the innocent. I am not doing this to pick a fight but
because I know something that I believe that someone else should know
before they make a judgement. That is to say that someone is trying to deceive
people into believing something which is  not truthful. I am a conservationist
and I know there are a number of anti-conservation activists about so I risk
attracting flames.

The web site which Mr Mikula refers to is not truthful.
The fact is that ALL insect conservation bodies oppose what this site is
peddling.

My concerns are that while it could be argued that there are two sides to
an argument, this "breeders" website contains information which the
informed will know thoroughly discredits them. I consider that since
I know this I should say so. After all it is only good citizenship to point
out to your fellows when someone is trying to get them to buy a product
or an idea which is peddled by marketing that is not truthful.

The website quotes a scientist as saying that the kind of releases that it supports
are OK when in fact he is saying the opposite. That releases should only
be performed as part of a scientifically controlled process, NOT at the
wedding of "Bimbo and Rambo" :-)

Now there are two possible reasons why they say this :-

1. They are deliberately deceiving people.

2. They do not know the subject well enough to comment.

Either way they are discredited. By all means visit the site but remember
the information is wrong.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog