I need help.......

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Wed May 3 23:34:08 EDT 2000

Linda and other leppers,

    Don't jump on Neil Jones; just argue out the science. Most butterfly
population biologists would probably agree with Neil for the most part that
butterfly releases should be done very circumspectly if at all. His is not an
arbitrary obstinacy.
    This is not to say that Bruce Walsh is mistaken in his points. Most of Bruce's
points I agree with, but some clarifications should be made. 1) You are not
quoting Bruce directly I assume, since there are many spelling and grammatical
errors in your paraphrases. 2) Bruce seems to assume that the burden of proof
should lie with on the anti-releasers. This is point of view would not be held by
anyone working in biological control. 3) There are some dangers (discussed by me
and others in posts last year) that Bruce is not mentioning, such as disease,
transposons, runaway sexual selection etc. that could cause major problems from an
apparently minor release. 4) Releases would bollox up many kinds of future
scientific studies on phylogeography (the geography of micro- and meso-
evolution). Bruce might actually agree if put to the test. 5) There are many
things we can't even think of now that could matter.
    It is amusing that Bruce and I would come to different attitudes from a
similar academic training. One of his academic fathers is my academic grandfather
(Joseph Felsenstein). We were both trained in quantitative genetics by Michael
Turelli at UCDavis. He teaches at U Arizona where I did my MS. Perhaps Bruce is
just more optimistic that evolution just sorts things out. My understanding of the
very complex biogeography of Lepidoptera (obtained partly from Art Shapiro,
another connection) and the highly fine-tuned mimicry adaptations, together with
our still weak understanding of the evolution of their dispersal (despite the
massive work of Robin Baker) leads me to be more skeptical of Bruce's optimism. He
is probably right about most cases; it is the other cases that haunt us.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu