I need help.......

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Thu May 4 09:51:44 EDT 2000

Paul's response to Pat Foley's posting is very reminiscent of what we
hear and have heard from the biotech community.  The biotech industry
did not take for granted that it had to prove safety and still argues
that regulatory agencies have to prove harm. If it weren't for a very
cynical public, suspicious of the motives of large industry, I would
guess that the balance would not sway in favor of the regulatory
agencies.  Like any statistical problem it is much easier to demonstrate
harm (even when it is rare) than to provide convincing evidence of
safety (even when it is common).  However, that alone should not shift
the responsibility.

M. Gochfeld