There are releases and releases

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri May 5 07:30:57 EDT 2000

Ken raised an interesting historical question. Were there butterfly
releases in 1973.  I'm sure this list represents people of very diverse
ages and very diverse localities and elementary schooling. We can
identify our own experiences both regarding whether we raised and/or
released butterflies in school and when we heard of butterfly releases
at social events.

I'll start.

I graduated high school in 1957.  We did have a junior Audubon Society
in 4th grade (birds only) and a school botanical garden, but no raising
of butterflies.  We did dissect frogs in 10th grade biology.
	I never heard of a butterfly release here in NJ until about
1990.

Mike Gochfeld